Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Destin fo Rainy Days

We had another fun week in Florida despite the rain.  The storms in this area are different from anything I've experienced.  The clouds are more black than any I've seen and the lightning shows are amazing if observed from a safe location.  We've learned that if you hear even a small rumble of thunder, we must take cover immediately.  Sadly, A dad and son died near Panama City Beach because they got caught in a storm and were struck by lightning.  It is definitely not something to mess with in this part of the country!

In addition to the light show, the amount of rain that manages to come out of the clouds is ridiculous!  It does not just drizzle around here.  Oh it might start that way, but it never just stays that way!  When it rains, it comes down in buckets.  I look at the radar and it will just be this small little dot on the map, yet it produces so much water in such a short time that things flood quickly.  It also passes fast enough and is hot enough to be gone quickly too.

Apparently the amount of rain we are getting is not typical here.  They have been in a drought the past two years so this is unusual.  The nice thing is that we have had more waves then they typically get because of the passing storms and other activity in the Gulf.  This has made for great play time!

Camden skimming
Grace finally got on! 
This week we bought the kids skimboards and surfboards off of craigslist.  They are having a blast!  There are some guys down here that can do the most amazing tricks on the skimboards; my kiddos are just happy to get on and ride it.  Grace and Lauryl already stood up on the surfboard a few times.  Camden has gotten to his knees but I'm sure he'll be standing in no time.  I love that they are getting to experience new stuff.

For me, I have a car down here now.  It's nothing pretty but it works and it was cheap!  I like having my freedom again.  Yesterday, I tried a Zumba class at a country club fitness center.  It was a tough class but I felt very out of place.  Today, I tried an RPM "spin" class at the Gold's Gym and I just loved it!  They also have Zumba classes there so I think I'm going to do a month-to-month membership.  It's nice to be eating healthier and exercising again!

So, that's the update for now.  It's hard to believe we've only been here three weeks.  I've adjusted to the change of coming to the beach from the mountains, but I truly like the variety.  I don't think I'd ever want to give up summer in the mountains though.  This is a nice community and it's more transplants than locals.  Everyone's got a story of how or why they came here and why they haven't left.  It's a grand adventure for the Meile's so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment