Friday, September 7, 2012

Yam those diners!

So there we were... Starving and in need of food. We were driving to the Eglin AFB Museum but we wanted to get something to eat first. So after throwing out the normal restaurant names like Panera or McDonalds, my dad decided to try something different; remember that.

We decided to stop and eat at Southern Comfort Cafe. Now before I continue with this story I must first tell you of our family curse. It seems that whenever we decide to eat at diners, we end sitting a very long time and eventually we don't even get our food; except Camden!  Camden always seems to get a free salad out of the whole ordeal. 

This time we sat down and ordered our food from a cafe, not a diner...we thought. Our first fatal mistake!  My mom, dad, and I ordered sandwiches and baked sweet potatoes. Lauryl got a kids meal and Camden ordered a Po boy with a salad. Out came Camden's salad pretty quickly, but after that things went very slow.

After several water refills and no food, we had figured out that a cafe in Florida is the same thing as Diner everywhere else. We were all laughing because we had the same thing happen so many times before.  Our waitress (who was actually pretty good) kept coming up to us apologizing. At one point, she told us this was the busiest they had ever been and they had only been open two weeks! This might have been a formidable excuse, if the place had more than three people in it other than us. We even got promised a 15% discount because of our wait. 

Finally, after being water-logged and starving, out came our food. I was absolutely starving and couldn't wait to eat my food!  My plate had a yummy looking sandwich on it and a sweet potato wrapped up in tin foil.  I unwrapped my sweet potato ready to enjoy one of my favorite foods. I took one tiny bite and was completely grossed out!  My potato was a sickly sweet flavor and just didn't taste right. I asked my mom to taste it to see if it was off to her and she pointed out something I hadn't noticed. There was mold on the side of my sweet potato!  After that, we decided not to eat our sweet potatoes yet we ate the rest of our food because we were so hungry.

After we showed our waitress the mold, she showed her boss who gave us our meal free.  The funny thing we found out though as we were leaving was that our table number was 13. The universe seems to  conspire against us. As we left, I think we learned a very important lesson; we should not ever go to a diner even if they call it a cafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment