Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ocracoma Daze

Thursday morning was our travel day to Ocracoke. Ocracoke is a small island off the tip of Cape Hatteras.  It is approximately 19 miles long and the town sits around Silver Lake.  It is known for being a port for Black Beard the pirate. 

It was a beautiful drive through the Outer Banks.  We met my parents at the ferry and we were able to ride over together.  I love the ferry ride to the island.  It's 45 minutes across the Pamlico Sound.  I've gone to Ocracoke since I was a baby and we would go down every year when I was a kid.  Dave and I spent our honeymoon there and we've taken our own family there most years. 

Typically we go down later in June with my sisters and their families.  This year we decided to go for the Ocrafolk Music and Story-telling Festival.  My parents went last year and loved it!


When we got on the island the kids helped my parents unload and Dave and I found our campsite at Teeter's and set up.  We had dinner with my parents at Howard's Pub.  We ordered their amazing hush puppies and I had a blackened tuna dinner which was to-die-for! 


Friday morning we headed out to the beach.  It was truly a perfect day.  The kids played in the waves; something we didn't see much of during our trip to Florida.  In the evening, we went to a pot luck dinner to kick off the festival.  Several of the local restaurants provided food and we brought our key lime pie.  After dinner, the kids joined a kazoo band playing "When the Saints.." as they marched to the Ocracoke school gymnasium for the auction.  They had a blast!  Following the auction there was a celtic jam in Deep Water Theater which we listened to for a little, then we went to the outside stage and heard a band called "L Shaped Lot".  They were awesome!  The kids and I danced and had a fun close to the evening.





No comments:

Post a Comment